mardi 15 juillet 2008

Rawlings rawlings rawlings

I am in Wyoming ! Leaving Colorado made me sad, and now I am back in semi-desertic landscapes... that means travelling with 2 gallons of water, seeing antelopes instead of deer, and avoiding rattlesnakes ! I got to meet my first one early this morning, it got me chilled !

I left Steamboat Springs sunday morning, heading north towards Steamboat Lake (I got used to the lack of imagination for names), and got into the hardest pass so far. It does not even have a name, because it is so steep and rocky you could not honestly call it a pass. At first, it was just an uphill road, a bit too sandy and rocky, and suddendly I was struggling with every stroke of the pedal. Those rocks with white sand in between kept bumping me around, and I was struggling to get any traction at all. I was on lowest gear, dodging 2 or 3 rocks, then getting my front wheell stuck on one, one pedal stroke to get it over the rock, then another pedal stroke to get the back wheel over it, and repeat until the next sand pond. But that was not even entering my mental strength... I was on unalterable mode, going very slowly but peacefully for the pass, my mind was playing this Sublime song "early in the morning, riding through the streets...", I had all the time I wanted to get there and nothing was going to stop me. Sure enought, after 2 hours, I sat on top of the pass, looking down at a lovely valley beyond me, still peacefull and amazed at the view.

That was the last of Colorado's passes, but not the end of my day : after a couple hours more on the saddle, I reached this lodge that my instincts told me was the place all the racers had recommended : pine something lodge, with this fantastic hostess, great food and hot tub with a view. Sure enough, that was the place, and I got in just in time for sunset, a good diner and conversation with my hostess. A great stay that was just the logical ending for Colorado. Thanks Kirsten!

Enough said, let's get some pics online:




Stay put for the picture dude!



The last pass in Colorado ...



... and the first pass in Wyoming



Some more Colorado hills.


My stats are still strong



Good average for the last 7 days considering there is one rest day !

I have crossed 15 of the continental divide crossings planned, and for some reason the widget won't get it right, so here I am : halfway !

No news on weight either... it think the beard is hiding a lot... still eating a lot though: usually 2 breakfasts, lunch, afternoon diner and late nite diner... getting bored of the dehydrated pasta though.

Aucun commentaire: